Freestyle Libre 14 days and Freestyle 2
This post is for users or intending users of libre medical devices for monitoring body sugar levels. Carefully go through each section to fully understand how to use these freestyle products properly
What is the Flash Glucose Monitoring method all about?
This method of body sugar level monitoring provides a close and accurate reading of glucose levels. This method involves the use of a small sensor wired to continually read body glucose levels, non-stop. This blood sugar level measurement method is easy, free of stress, devoid of hurt in the finger.
Which method of body sugar reading would you prefer?
One major difference between these two body sugar level readings simply is; blood glucose measures directly the amount of sugar in the blood. While sensor glucose method uses the interstitial fluid for its own body sugar measurement. This fluid is a body fluid containing oxygen with nutrients. This blood sugar measurement mode is already proven beyond doubt. It is effective.
Differences in the two libre devices.
- Integration: the first version of libre is not able to be integrated with other machines. The second one is.
- Reading: the second libre has increased accuracy in its 14 days reading. It uses Mean Absolute Relative Difference (MARD). The first libre does not use this type of reading method.
- Age: The libre 2 can be used by children and adults. The first libre is only for adults.
- Alarm: There is a built-in optional alarm in libre 2. The first libre does not have an alarm system.
- Librelink app: you can connect your libre 1 to the libre app, but not liber 2.
What to note when using libre Systems
- Mostly insert in the upper arm
- Wait for a one-hour warm-up time before operating.
- Change the sensor in 14 days intervals.
- You can put it in water but not for more than half an hour.
- Do not exceed the height of 10,000 feet when on your sensor.
- Thrice a day or a maximum of six times a day scanning is okay
- Last, bring your reader within your sensor distance for accurate reading
Driving and Diabetes
Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) in 2019, accepted and issue an approval for driving personnel who are reliant on insulin to manage their body sugar can make use of CGM management systems. DVLA’s approval made it easy blood sugar level management of drivers.
This approval only covers the drivers using motorcycles and vehicles or cars, excluding big vehicle drivers. However, there would still be a need for drivers to use the finger method peradventure:
- Hypoglycemia symptoms are experienced by the driver.
- The glucose level of the driver is reading less than or equal to 4mmol/l.
- A disparity exists between the diabetes monitoring device and the current symptoms experienced.
To know more about this, click here.
The smartphone application for Freestyle Libre.
As mentioned previously, the first libre system was built to synchronize with a smartphone through the software called librelink app. This app can only be used on smartphone devices with:
- Android Operating System not less than 5.0
- I-phone mobile Operating System not less than 7.
To utilize this application, sign up using libreview. After signing up, start to scan. Also, download the app before you can enjoy the program organized by libreview.
Aside from the liberlink application, the Abbott company also designed the LibreLinkUp application. This app enables users to send body sugar level readings to health providers or anyone as the case may be. Below are a few reasons why you should use the LibreLinkUp app:
- Inform your healthcare provider about the level of your body sugar without seeing them physically;
- As a result, you receive constant information from health workers concerning body sugar levels;
- Finally, this application provides a great connection with health workers in monitoring blood sugar effectively.
Information on libre
- Present body sugar levels of up to 8 hours interval.
- It gives data of pattern of the level of body sugar, how it is increasing, decreasing, etc.
- It provides series of data continuously. These data can then help in making informed decisions in the management of diabetes.
- The first libre can be utilized to set reminders or store noted information.
When should you scan?
- You should scan before a meal, scan before bedtime, also before involving in exercise, a minimum of six times daily.
- You can improve your level of HbA1c if you scan intermittently
- Are you experiencing some symptoms of hypoglycemia, then you need to scan.
- You can follow the advice to scan after you ingest some food to have information on how such foods affect your glucose level.
Using the libre glucose management device? Do this:
- Ask your registered health center to add up libre sensor’s letter to prescriptions written for you.
- It is advisable to get the Liberlink application on a compatible smartphone. This is necessary to carry along your registered center for maximum monitoring. Read more about it below.
- Be careful in data reading, to prevent getting wrong pattern of glucose level.
- Dosage of insulin can be corrected when you eat except if your food contains ketones.
- To read your libre reader well and also give room for other readings, set your libre reader including the liberlink phone application to a glucose level range of 5-9 mmol/L.
Reading Trend Arrows of your libre reader.
Each arrow has their meanings in monitoring the level of your blood sugar. The interpretations gotten are then utilized to calculate the needed amount of insulin. Read more about this in the beneath diagram.
Link account to center
- Register on libreview.com.
- Input details of logging in to view the website page
- After accessing the page, on your upper right hand, locate the menu and click it.
- Flip through the drop-down, click on “Account settings”
- In settings, click my practice then input your center’s identity address then add.
- Lastly, the confirmatory message is sent to ascertain that your center has been added. (Reversal of this addition is also possible).
Sensor Wearing Precautions
- Try as much as possible not to get involved with sports that include frequent contact, because it might displace the sensor.
- Although the sensor is resistant to water, extra care should still be taken in the cleaning of the body area around the sensor. And as said earlier, try to avoid immersing your sensor in water for not more than 30 minutes.
- Wear free clothes around where the sensor is. Be careful when putting clothes on to prevent pulling the sensors.
- In the course of daily activities, be careful and prevent object bumping, or hitting the sensor against hard surfaces.
- Adhesive scratching, pulling, touching, peeling should be avoided.
Adhesive and Libre Sensor
One thing that will always be spoken of in the field of medical sciences is individual differences. Hence, in choosing the type of skin sensor adhesion to opt for, put into consideration your skin type and pick the right one for your skin.
Skin sensor preparation.
In preparing skin for sensor insertion, following these guidelines :
- Choose an upper arm skin part.
- This skin part should not be subjected to skin bending or skin folding
- Consider a good site for insulin injection and keep within few meters the sensor.
- To avoid bruise, discomfort, infection, or irritation of the skin, after every 14 days, change the placement of your sensor.
Removing the libre sensor.
You can use these good products for the complete removal of sensor adhesive if they are not totally removed after sensor removal.
Traveling with a Libre Sensor
- Always call the attention of airport officers in charge of security to your condition before the screening, in order to know if the screening will be good or otherwise.
- The sensor can successfully pass airport checks of metal detectors.
- Avoid subjecting yourself to whole-body security scanners.
- In case the airport protocol requires full-body scanning, let the security personnel know why you can not go for such security screening methods and request for other methods of screening.
- While traveling, always carry along a piece of evidence to confirm your wearing of the CGM device. Get your proof from a recognized health care center.
Do you have questions?
If you have questions regarding the libre body sugar continuous management devices, contact the med supply company.