Breaking Down Diabetes Barriers: A Guide for Latinos With Diabetes to Affordable Healthcare
Diabetes affects millions, but for Latinos with Diabetes, the risks are higher. Let’s tackle this head-on! Teaming up with GoodRx, we’ve curated the ultimate handbook on managing diabetes and securing affordable healthcare.
Tip: Please fill out the form if you or a friend would like more information on CGMs
The Latino With Diabetes Concern
Latinos with diabetes are a major issue in the US. While it affects 1 in 10 people overall, Latinos face a disproportionately higher risk of Type 2 diabetes compared to other communities.
Statistics from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Minority Health reveal a staggering 70 percent higher likelihood for Latinos with diabetes compared to non-Latino white adults.
Unveiling Contributing Factors
Several elements contribute to a diabetes diagnosis, with lifestyle, genetics, and economic factors playing crucial roles. For Latinos with diabetes, these factors manifest in various ways, including limited access to resources and reduced physical activity.
GoodRx steps in, providing access to affordable prescriptions like insulin, testing strips, and continuous glucose monitors (CGMs), easing the burden of diabetes management.
Nine Steps to Diabetes Management
- Stay Active: Engage in physical activities like walking, dancing, or weightlifting for at least 30 minutes daily to mitigate diabetes risks.
- Healthy Eating: Opt for nutrient-rich foods, focusing on fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, managing blood sugar levels effectively.
- Weight Management: Maintain a healthy weight through a balanced combination of exercise and nutrition to reduce the risk of diabetes-related complications.
- Hydration Matters: Substitute sugary drinks with water to maintain kidney health, hydration, and a balanced nutrient intake.
- Alcohol Moderation: Limit alcohol consumption, especially for those at risk or diagnosed with diabetes, to prevent complications.
- Prediabetes Testing: Take the prediabetes test to identify early signs and take preventive measures to halt its progression.
- Regular Sugar Monitoring: Monitor sugar levels consistently, working closely with your doctor, especially if insulin-dependent.
- Accessible Resources: Seek out reliable diabetes resources in Spanish to bridge language barriers and stay informed.
- Smart Spending: Compare prices for diabetes treatments, leveraging savings offered by platforms like GoodRx, easing financial strains.
Also, read about Evolution of Diabetes Pharmacotherapy
Overcoming Cost Barriers
Despite insurance coverage, out-of-pocket expenses for diabetes treatments can be substantial. GoodRx’s report highlights yearly costs ranging from $3,000 to $4,000.
However, informed decisions, access to affordable treatment options, and valuable resources from GoodRx, including the Diabetes Resource Center, help alleviate these financial burdens.
Don’t miss the Guide about Wegovy Dosage Guide: The Best Way For Weight Loss
GoodRx collaborates with over 70,000 pharmacies nationwide, offering savings of up to 80% on retail prescription medications, making quality healthcare accessible to all.